Just like any other brand, Moen shower valves have functional parts that can malfunction after a while.
When there is a leak in the shower valve or it loses its ability to balance cold and hot water correctly, repair is typically a simple procedure: change the insert cartridge.
Moen 1222 Cartridge: Turn off the water
- Cut off the water supply at the main turn-off valve.
- Turn on the faucet to drain whatever water that is left in the pipes.
Remove the Handle of the Faucet
- Use a stopper or a rag to block the drain.
- Remove the setscrew at the bottom of the handle.
- Keep the setscrew and handle aside.
Take off the Sleeve and Assembly of the Handle
- Remove the black plastic handle adapter and draw it right out.
- Pull out the two white plastic pieces but keep them together.
- Firmly hold the chrome sleeve and draw it right out.
NOTE: By doing that, you'll be see the cartridge held in place by the retaining clip.
Remove the Cartridge retaining clip
- Take note of the placement of the cartridge retaining clip.
- Remove the clip using needle-nose pliers and draw it right out to remove it.
Take out the Cartridge
- Remove the cartridge with a cartridge puller in back and forth rotating motions.
- Unscrew the puller screw to take out the tool from the cartridge.
Install the new cartridge
- Inspect the inside body of the valve to ensure it's clean.
- Clean any debris that may cause an obstruction of the new cartridge.
- Apply silicone grease to the rubber parts of the new cartridge.
- Place the cartridge inside the valve body.
- Push the cartridge in as much as it can go.
NOTE: Ensure "H C" inscription on the front surface of the cartridge is on top.
Put in the Retaining Clip
Fix in the retaining clip of the cartridge again. If you're finding it difficult to properly place the clip, try to move the cartridge a little with the cartridge puller.
Reassemble the Handle
- Place the two white pieces in their positions again.
- Ensure that each piece is assembled in the same position as before.
- Put the black handle adapter on the cartridge and use its screw to hold it in place.
- Put the handle on the cartridge stem and use its setscrew to fasten it in place.
NOTE: Turn on the water and check the faucet to ensure the cold water runs first and gets warmer as the handle is rotated.
Adjusting a Moen 1222 Cartridge
To reduce the temperature of the water, move the white piece on the outer part to the right.
To increase the temperature of the water, move the plastic piece on the outer part to the left.